2016年2月10日水曜日

Yoko Ono: from My Window

photo: Museum of Contemporary Art,Tokyo
I went to see an exhibition entitled “Yoko Ono: from My Window” held at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Tokyo in Kiyosumi-shirakawa.  Yoko Ono is most of thought of in her relationship with John Lennon, but she has been a great artist in contemporary art long before she met him. 

She is one of the pioneers of conceptual art and I have been a big fan of her works.  The exhibition emphasizes her very beginning works in the 1960s’ including some events she held in Tokyo.  Looking at the photos and videos at the show, I was taken aback by how avant-garde they are.  They are still interesting and inspiring to this day.

Why do I like her works?  I took a moment to stop and think about it.  One reason is that her works have the power to stir my imagination.  For example, the “instructions for paintings” series.  They are just displaying instructional words on pieces of white paper like this: 


Painting for the Wind

Cut a hole in a bag filled with
seeds of any kind and place the
bag where there is wind.


With this instruction, you can imagine any process of changes after the seeds start spreading into the air.  Flying in the air, touching down on the ground, germinating and covering the ground with green leaves.  You can transfer the instructions to your own vision.  I think that the idea Yoko Ono came up with is a beautiful invention.  We can draw invisible pictures in our head and maybe, it’s more creative than real pictures. 

The second reason I like her works is that her art works are always positive.  There is nothing that scares me or depresses me in her works, even if their themes were anti-war.  I can always feel happy with them. 


After going through the exhibition, I was fully charged with the energy.



↓Thank you very much for your click.
にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ
にほんブログ村

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿